To activate the REST API, first go to the account settings. Then click on Integrations, on the left side in the tab Account & Billing. Here, you will see an overview of integrations and their status.
Move your cursor across the line and you will see the button Activate appear. Click on Activate behind the REST API to purchase a license.
After purchasing the license, go to the tab Integrations and click on Configurations on the left. You will see the following screen:
Click on the button New authentication to generate a Key and a Secret. You will need these to link an external system to your Spotler account. First, a pop-up will appear:
In this popup:
- Enter the name of the unique data in your system
- Select whether you want to use an existing field in your database or create a new field for the link with the unique data in your database. The External id field is often used to link to a customer number.
Do you already have a REST API running with another system? Then a new field is generally needed. This prevents the default external id from being overwritten when e-mail address is part of the deduplication rule(s), that contacts are switched if two external sources use the same external id and that the updates only take place within one system, because the external system prevents the contact cannot find based on the correct external id.
Are you in doubt? Feel free to contact Spotler for advice. There are a number of important points to consider when connecting different source systems with Spotler.
Click on OK and you will see the Key and the Secret in the screen.
Deactivating the REST API
Would you like to deactivate the REST API? Then please contact your Spotler partner, they will cancel your license.
Safe handling of a key and secret
Link REST API to multiple systems
An advantage of the REST API is that you can link multiple source systems with Spotler. This way you can combine the strengths of different source systems such as your webshop, CRM, ERP or another system.
When you plan this, there are a few important points to consider, so that the implementation goes smoothly and there is no data contamination.
- Do you link one or more systems with Spotler? Contact your Spotler partner. They can advise you on this.
- Create a new authentication for each system you want to connect with Spotler and link it to a new unique external id.
- With multiple source systems you create an extra external id field (Create new field) and the deduplication rules are automatically adjusted. This prevents the default external id field from being overwritten when e-mail address is part of the deduplication rule(s), that contacts are switched if two external sources use the same external id and that the updates only take place within one system, because the external system prevents the contact cannot find based on the correct external id.
- Inform the party that arranges the link for you that you are working with multiple systems, so that they take this into account during the implementation.
Need extra guidance? Contact your Spotler partner.
Want to know more about the REST API?
Read more about it in the article Introduction REST API.